12 Things to Do In Gili Trawangan When It’s Raining
So you’ve spend all month planning the perfect getaway to Gili Trawangan with activities to do in the sun like surfing, lounging at the beach with your favorite drink and riding bikes around the island. But when you get off the boat at the harbor, the sky is grey and you start to feel rain. You may feel your vacation is ruined, but there are many activities you can do while it’s raining
- Hangout at GiliFit and watch a free movie: GiliFit has over 3,000 movies to choose from (old and new). You can relax in an air-conditioned dark room while watching your favorite film on the big screen. The Movie Room is located next to the Gecko Bar, Gili Fit’s health bar, where you can purchase smoothies, protein shakes, drinks, and food. If you’re feeling up to it, why not get a workout in too?
- Read your favorite book at a cafe: Gili T has many small coffee shops hiding around the island. Closer to the beach you'll find many cafes to choose from with Western and local styled coffees.
3. Watch the rain fall from Pesona’s Sky Lounge while smoking sheesha: Pesona’s Skylounge is a recently opened Sheesha and Restaurant lounge with spectacular views of Lombok and Pesona’s beachfront. Designed for comfort, you can lounge and listen to music while eating or smoking your favorite flavor of sheesha.
4. Make souvenirs for your family and friends at a jewelry making class: Yin Jewelry for the Soul offers half day classes to make a silver ring or pendant of your own design in just three hours from start to finish, while learning the basic skills of silversmithing. The shop is located on the main road just near the snorkeling beach. It’s kid-friendly so the whole family can enjoy!
5. Learn to cook a local dish at Sweet & Spicy: Spend your lunch and dinnertime at Sweet & Spicy, an cooking school which organizes 4 hour long Indonesian cooking classes. You’ll leave the class with your belly full and hopefully a clear sky.
6. Play a game of foosball at Gili Golf - While outside you can find a basketball court and mini golf, you can find foosball and a bar inside. Maybe if the rain stops you can play your friends in a game of mini golf?
7. Play a game of badminton with your friends: There are several Badminton courts on Gili T because badminton is so popular! You can find one in the middle of the island, or ask a local where they like to play.
8. Dive in the rain with Dive Central Gili - Dive Central Gili still offers diving courses even if it’s raining because if you’re already wet it won’t matter if it’s raining! Try a day class or if you want to take diving seriously sign up for an Open Water course.
9. Treat yourself.. get a massage or spa treatment: Azure Spa offers massages, beauty treatments and spa packages. Spend your day indulging in a traditional Balinese massage or manicure/pedicure. Try one of the spa treatment packages if you have more time and you’d like to relax with a longer treatment.
10. Get a tattoo: There are many tattoo shops on the island with talented artists waiting to give you your next tattoo. Tattoos are popular here because the price is cheap for a great quality tattoo.
11. Buy DVD’s from Adi the DVD man (you can find him strolling up and down the main street) and watch DVDs in your room
12. Maybe you don’t feel like doing anything on your vacation, and that’s okay! A rainy day is the perfect time to catch up on your much needed sleep.